THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY - A Non-Spoiler Review of the Netflix Series

WHAT-IS: "A dysfunctional family of superheroes comes together to solve the mystery of their father's death, the threat of the apocalypse and more. Adapted from the comic created by Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá. "

I had come into THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY series on Netflix with high expectations, having had adored the comicbook series from Dark Horse Comics ages back, and had wondered if the live action adaptation could mirror the insanity and quirks of the source material from Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá., with a heightened hope thanks to current TV offerings like "Deadly Class" and "American Gods" shining the way to more mature interpretations/presentations of obscure projects, perhaps a harder sell than your spandex comic-to-media adits like Daredevil, Iron Man, Runaways, Cloak and Danger, The CW on-and-on... first comparison to pop into mind: "Preacher", actually, of a slightly watered down and presentable, but still nevertheless insane in its own right - which frankly is a decent and acceptable thing to expect this day and age, IMHO.

As this is a SPOILER-FREE review, one thing I have to spoil for everyone is: "Do not be fooled by all the costumes you see in the promotional poster." And that is a GOOD thing, I insist.


(Above: Tricky promo-poster
Below: Snazzy domino masks!)

THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY did not disappoint. In lieu of the kinetic madness of the comicbook (which appealed to me then), we are instead bludgeoned with major dysfunctional family and sibling dramamamamia amongst a very (appreciative) politically-correct diverse cast - which kinda worked for my viewing experience, as it added more pathos and emotive qualities (versus the overt "look-at-me-the-super-power-in-action"!-trope), and understandably more humanly flawed and "relatable"- than say having the power to "time travel" - for which I can pretend to understand, but never feel how it actually is (besides my weekly #throwbacktoythursday jaunts on the blog) ... and the characters bicker thru an intriguingly addictive 10 episoder, which I could decently devour within a somewhat full dedicated weekend, leaving folks with an open-ended climactic ending for which I WISH that there will be a second season for!
"Hands down the best I've seen on Netflix. Blows the Marvel stuff away. Even Ellen Page's dour countenance couldn't ruin this show...it was actually pretty good casting for a character I feel like I'm supposed to feel mixed hate/pity for." - shared Kingsley Baconhausen, who also adds; "Want season 2 NOW!"

For the first few episodes, I had experienced a gnawing uncomfortable feeling, of remembering the comicbook source, and of anticipating characters and their quirks - which frankly annoyed me something fierce ... but sticking thru to the end, I had been pleasantly surprised - or as my FB friend Naen mentions: "The whole series is familiar but different." - and it is, for someone that recognises the original source material, and I personally welcomed the range beyond my nostalgic wants.
"I waited for this series for 7 years and it met all my expectations and so much more!! So happy because it actually explains so much from the comics all the in-betweens are covered!!" - shared Kevin Hallare @matthewnadaw
I can understand the various tangents and side-trips - that help develop and enrich the character - but they do not always succeed, IMHO. But understandably they may well be in service of the story, rather than my own personal expectations (:p). Ultimately this was a exceedingly decent story and show presented to the masses, and what I feel to be promising for more knowledgable fans, and I am alright with that.


The design and look of the series was excellent in my design-book, with care taken into replicating a specific vintage look juxtaposed with the modern trappings of the now (Oh I could go on forever, but not here... :p), with quite a heap knot to Wes Anderson films, I have to say! Not least the dance sequence, but even the hallways and staircases!


The music and song choice was excellent and spot-on, which makes the series an breeze to enjoy with IMHO. And while this quickie review is SPOILER-FREE, I had hope to further geek out on my tv-blog, if I can manage to exorcise more tangible thought on it soon!


Meanwhile, ending this with Gerard Way's cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "Hazy Shade of Winter" (feat. Ray Toro), and highly recommend this for folks looking for something slightly different from your usual genre tv (something which is about to, and am changing with "Deadly Class", "The Boys" etc), something "off-center", stylistically fun with a heavy dose of retrolicious, a somewhat indie-movie feel that is a marriage of serious apocalyptical death and FUN, complete with musical sequences to delight, and tons of bullets and explosions - courtesy of Hazel, Cha-Cha and Number Five. A "Salvation" is in order for this season, and I am grateful I had a chance to witness it. Netflix has struck GOLD with this, as far as I am concerned. ENJOY!


Cheers
Andy Heng
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK