Missing My ToyPixDays for #throwbacktoythursday


And while I'd posted about my talk for Singapore Design Week earlier this week, I'd like to share some images - specifically for today on #throwbacktoythursday - of how TOYSREVIL first started out as myself being a toy-collector first. Where I had first collected 1/6th (predominantly via local toyshops), then very quickly "urban vinyl" (mixture of mostly eBay and subsequent toyshops in SG), and had a dotcom dedicated to showcasing my 1/6th (before I lapsed in payment and lost the dotcom), and in the beginning years of this TOYSREVIL blogspot, and as well toy-forums, had indulged in creating faux dioramas to snap pics of my collectibles ... something I do not do as often, if at all these days.


Being able to create and environment for the toys, has since given to expediency in showcasing toys-in-hands, and feeling quite frankly, I did not have enough time in a day to indulge in creating said dioramas - not just because I am "busy" but for my lack of health and energy to last longer in a day - something which held quite the allure for me, bak in the day, as it is in essence creating a "mise en scene" in a scaled-setting, very much like when I create my film and television sets (as a Production Designer & Art Director almost a decade ago). And in many ways, being able to create these toy images was a boon, a wish-fulfilment in my line of work (then), whenever I am unable to create my imagination unto the set, due to whatever reasons (lack of budget, disapproval of directors etc), I can attempt to experiment on my toys and space.


And yes, you have seen these images posted on the blog quite a few times perhaps, which is what grates at me too (I abhor reposting similar images, especially when it cones to toynews lol), as it is a stark reminder of what I want to do NOW but am unable to, but at the same time, I am not willing to give-up and forget my toyjoy, you know what I mean? In the early days of this blog, I created and post a "toy pix a day" even! But actually for a while, I DID have fun with my bootleg/Bootlego tho...

View this post on Instagram

#mybootlego #bootlego

A post shared by TOYSREVIL (@toysrevil) on


(FYI: *These were not shown in my slides*)


View this post on Instagram

#mybootlego #bootlego

A post shared by TOYSREVIL (@toysrevil) on


View this post on Instagram

#mybootlego #bootlego

A post shared by TOYSREVIL (@toysrevil) on


On a practical real-world front, during the early days of toy-collecting decades back, I had been well aware of my lack of display space at home - which although has improved every so slightly through the years (one detof here, another detour there), but - where it was less about the ability to (just) BuyBUYBUY, but to be able to best use them in creating a single-story image, or collection of images, for which I kept low-res images of all these years online, while my heard drive crashed, but I digress...

And yes, I am well aware that I am a single grownassman who has the time to indulge in my toys, and even when after surviving Stroke in 2010, I'd not much the energy, or even able to get down on the floor to take pictures, although I was/am still a single man with no family commitments, and no full-time job except for authoring my own blog (*Which I've since lost the ability to earn Google ad sense as of February...), but I f88king digress...


I miss creating the final picture. I miss whatever I had felt was a creative outlet of expressions (for myself), so much so that I had been intensely thinking about dong scaled dioramas (very much like my idol Hank Cheng of Taiwan go follow his !), and even thought of starting a "diorama building hobby group" so that we/I can have shared activity with (possibly) like-minded folks! But alas, "space" and financial ability outweighed everything ... thinking back for when I was active in the media scene, I had dreamt of (and have in my possession notes, storyboards etc) doing stop-motion short film projects with 1/6th-scaled figures, which would necessitate scaled diorama/environments too!

Alas, there is no tangible and practical "answer", and neither is there a "plan", besides wining about it only blog (heh), and holding unto the wish that I may yet one day fulfilled (one of) my toy-passions ...

Cheers
Andy TOYSREVIL

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK