Special Report on Art Toys in PORTFOLIO (Issue 32)


Featured/showcased/interviewed in the October 2019 Issue (Issue 32) of PORTFOLIO Magazine, is a 20-page Special Report on Art Toys - featuring predominantly Singapore-based brand owners Jeffrey Koh (@flabslab), Jake Lee (@pobbertoys), Jackson Aw (@mightyjaxx), Ben Ang and Bryan Tan (@xmstudios); bloggers/communicators Andy Heng (for @toysrevil AKA "Me") and Lai Yui Wai (@lai_yui_wai of @thetoychronicle); seller Ann Goh (for @simplytoyssg), and designer Jan Calleja (@jan_calleja) from The Philippines!


Featured here are layout snaps for reference (not all are large enough to read, folks), and while you might not necessary find the luxury magazine at your neighbourhood newsstand, you can instead subscribe here for a digital copy, for free!

I had a quick online chat with Marc Almagro (editor-in-chief of Media Group / @almagro_marcos), for which this is an edited excerpt, posted with page images alongside.


TOYSREVIL: From the collective interviews, how it has affected / influenced / coloured your impressions of the (local) designer toy culture?
MARC ALMAGRO: Researching this story and interacting with respondents have confirmed my original assumption that it is not a straightforward business that is governed by familiar economic laws such as demand and supply, or principles like costs vs benefits, markets coordinate trade, etc. The commodity does not comprise staple or basic goods, and although it has high emotional content - just like branded luxury products, it is too niche to have a social impact.

TOYSREVIL: Do you yourself collect "art toys"? What do you collect?
MARC ALMAGRO: I own toys like (the entire cast of) Doraemon, a couple of Blythe dolls, a Malibu Barbie, a Sailor Moon, some limited edition movie tie-ins, outputs from art toymakers but I am hardly what you would call a collector. The acquisition cost and price performance hardly matter to me. I merely buy those that appeal to me personally.

TOYSREVIL: And I would beg to differ, you ARE a "collector" - to me anyone who collects a slice of what they love/loved and enjoy, either from their nostalgic past or current passion, is, IMHO.

TO me, the value of the item(s) is as intrinsic as the value of what the item holds for the collector. I read "(the entire cast of) Doraemon" and I smile and nod immediately lol


MARC ALMAGRO: I would agree. But some people I know who are big time 'collectors' - Terence Chan, Alex Chua & Eric Khoo among them - own pieces from our collective wish lists...
TOYSREVIL: For sure, those are the hardcore collectors and connoisseurs! A league I aspire to but probably never be able to in this lifetime lol ... but I personally feel it certainly does not diminish casual collectors, or collectors of any level, pedestrian or serious investors, IMHO.


TOYSREVIL: I am of the sentiment that I am as much interested to see and know of your Doraemon collection, as I am of the "limited edition pieces", at least in this instance...
MARC ALMAGRO: My Doraemon 'collection', if it can be called that, is made in China and, I assume, comes in unlimited numbers. They measure about five inches tall - the best that I can afford - although there are much smaller versions.

I have a lot of Doraemon stuff. I liked the story as a child and I can still binge watch reruns today!

The idea of time-travel and simultaneous reality exist in quantum experiments. Not many cartoon shows have dealt with that seamlessly.

I think Doraemon is underrated because it is lighthearted, unlike the darker franchises of Marvel and DC...

TOYSREVIL: Thanks for sharing, and LOVE the connection you have with it, something that connects us all to the toys we buy and collect - be it emotional or intellectual and everything else in between!

We are after all purchasing pieces of pre-painted plastic or resin, whose "value" is either the recognizability of appropriated pop culture, the aesthetic value of original (lowbrow) art, or something emotionally nostalgic, that cannot necessarily have a "value" assigned to it, IMHO. But color me "naive", of course. And I love them ALL! MUAHAHAHAHAHA :)

In closing, perhaps you could share a little bit of who you are, and what you do? And why this series of interviews?

MARC ALMAGRO: I am the editor-in-chief of Media Group, a local publisher that owns Portfolio, Jet Gala, Solitaire and Golf Asia - the luxury titles that are under me. I decided to run a special report on art toys because a number of our readers (High Net Worth Individuals, young professionals and business owners) collect them. I also see a potential for investments in and further rationalisation of the art toys sector.

(Thanks to @yewhock for the recommendations / Additional images via)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK