CHUN's TOP TOYS OF 2020


The creator of "Māraion Senpai" vinyl toy shares with us his TOP TOYS OF 2020 (as apart of my TOP TEN TOYS OF 2020-List Features celebrating YOUR toys of 2020), along with a lil'Q&A to get to know the Singaporean toy-designer & collector more...!

TOYSREVIL: Can you share with us, who you are and what you do
CHUN: My name is Chun. 40 this year. I hold a regular day job like everyone.  

TOYSREVIL: How long have you been buying (collectible) toys? What type/genre of toys do you prefer to collect?
CHUN: I have been collecting vinyl toys since 2010, I still remember my very first piece is a 400% Kaws 2002 and this is where the addiction starts. Kidrobot has a forum back then, that’s where I started exploring and expanded my knowledge and collection. James Jarvis, Luke Chueh, Kathie Olivas, Coarsetoys were part of my collection along the journey. My preference changed the past 10 years and now mainly focuses on older pieces from Michael Lau and Kaws.

TOYSREVIL: Where do you normally purchase your toys? Online? Offline from Stores? Events? Which do you prefer? And why?
CHUN: Almost all toy purchases are online, and the rare occasion I can get something locally. These days Carousell is probably the quickest way to get something locally. Ebay and online stores are still a good place to start for general releases, and facebook groups are a good source to buy grails from reputable collectors. As collectors all over the world connect via social media, online store platforms remain the most important source for all toy releases, and with the current pandemic, the importance is even greater. I do hope companies can improve their technology in overcoming bots, so that I myself can have the tiny realistic chance to buy some ‘hype’ items. LOL.



TOP TOY OF 2020 (#6): AAAA Takashi Goda
CHUN: This is a t-shirt container, I got this from a collector friend in Canada.

TOYSREVIL: Do you have “toy-grails”? And did you manage to score a “toy-grail” this year (2020)?
CHUN: Michael Lau Streetmaxx and Workmaxx. Managed to score these in facebook group and was offered a generous help from a collector friend in China. Something to cheer about for 2020. There are still probably 2 or 3 Michael Lau pieces I still want to be able to add into my collection, namely, garderpalmer S3 Womax, gardener Future 076, Maharishi future and womax.



TOP TOY OF 2020 (#5): Nara Drumming Girls
CHUN: These look really beautiful in person, and nobody can dislike a Nara's piece!


TOYSREVIL: Any particular focus or toy-aims this year (2020)? Starting any new line in 2021?
CHUN: I keep my options open, I can be random, and find love for a particular toy/artiste and start searching high and low for it, or I flip through the current trends and buy what I like and I don’t lose sleep even if I didn’t manage any. Nothing planned for 2021. My only toy release last year was a bid to fulfill my dream of having a toy production release by myself.



TOP TOY OF 2020 (#4): Māraion Senpai (own production piece)
CHUN: My dream does come true!

TOYSREVIL: Has your collecting preference changed during this year? If so what are they? And why the change?
CHUN: For some, their passion in vinyl collecting remains as strong. For me, I have toned down a lot. For a start, I buy less these days, mainly because Michael Lau releases are almost non-existent, Kaws became a bigger 'hype' with many releases that I myself can't keep up with. I'm like the 'antique' collector, I tend to hunt for older releases. The newer generation of artists that swept Asian collectors with their 'mass' appeal do not interest me, I love the varieties and ideas of them, and I will continue to admire them from afar.



TOP TOYS OF 2020 (#3): Futura/Womax by Michael Lau
CHUN: When the opportunity arises, you can't say no to one of your grails!

TOYSREVIL: Do you belong to any particular or dedicated toy-groups (online or offline)? Do you have “toy-buying buddies''?
CHUN: I did join a few facebook groups, from Kidrobot to Michael Lau and Kaws, and random ones like hotwheels. LOL. I used to have a few ‘toy buying buddies’ but not anymore, with my addiction getting lighter and hardly seeing a need to ‘die-die’ must buy.  



TOP TOYS OF 2020 (#2): Workmaxx by Michael Lau
CHUN: Right place, right time, 'right' price! I just have to..

TOYSREVIL: “Toy Buying these days is a solitary affair” = Do you agree with this? How do you feel about this?
CHUN: Mixture of both?

Yes, I do feel toy purchases are personal, it's a toy that you are adding to your collection, that adds to your personality and the type/focus of toys one is into.
No, there are also times I feel excited on a particular release, and would share the news to other collector friends. The feeling is very satisfying when everyone scores on release day.



TOP TOYS OF 2020 (#1): Streetmaxx by Michael Lau
CHUN: As a Michael Lau collector, this is my current ultimate keeper!

TOYSREVIL: Thank you for sharing with us, Chun! Finally, where can people go to see your collection?
CHUN: For personal collection: instagram.com/oranger0ad
For production piece: instagram.com/junoplaygroup
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK