BITING VASE from Josh Divine - Genesis & Launch of Self-Produced Art Collectible


And while we've in the past only seen his toy-art with "SUPER CRASH BROS" vinyl collectible (produced by Strangecat Toys) on TOYSREVIL, Josh Divine shares with us his self-produced "BITING VASE", and I had to first ask him some gnawing questions...

TOYSREVIL: What is the collectible’s concept? Does it have a (toy)story? And how did the concept come about? What was it’s genesis? Thanks for sharing!


JOSH DIVINE: "It came from a sketchbook drawing I had done a while ago with some characters who had mouths on both sides of their face. I sort of scrawled them out. They didn’t look like anything else I had drawn at the time. I was working at Kidrobot then and everything was so slick and smooth. I started thinking about the dadaists’ readymades and useless objects. I tried to add the mouth concept in this way to some cylindrical forms, trying to come up with some kind or art object concept. I loved the idea of gloss white with pink gums."


JOSH DIVINE: "One night, the vase idea crept in and it sort of solved everything. It sort of gave the object a personality. Passive-aggressive, duplicitous, viscous but also harmless and decorative and elegant. When I placed the mouths on the vase form it read like contemporary art and not so much as a toy or gag. It was something I’d like to have in my house. I sculpted it, and I got a positive response online. I decided to risk it and move forward with making it real.". (instagram.com/joshdivinestudio)



And his "risk" is our benefit...! The 7-inch tall "BITING VASE" is available now online via joshdivinestudio/shop in 2 colors: BLACK and WHITE, with each resin release priced at US$200.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK