Jimmy Yu's #TopTenToysof2021

WHAT-IS: What are YOUR #TopTenToysof2021? I’ve invited some collectors to share their favs and you can check if they share the same designer toys as you, in this serial feature on TOYSREVIL heralding in the new year of toys in 2022!



This'll be Jimmy Yu's second year to share with us his list (TOP TEN TOYS OF 2020), and you can scroll thru to the bottom for a lil'Q&A/Catch-up/peek-in-window of his life with the Indonesia-based creator! And check out his Instagram @jimmy_yu for so much more toysToysTOYS!



JIMMY YU: I spent 2021 mostly repainting Kamen Rider Candy toys as I watch the series with my sons during lockdown. They are affordable but adds up overtime (I think I painted over 120 since the beginning of pandemic).

Restored some vintage toys and sculpted unproduced characters the way they’d look if they were produced back in the day...my "What If" series. Did a few commissions too along the way. Here are my 10 picks in no particular order.



Playmates Samurai Leo

JIMMY YU: This collection sort of gathered organically. I had some bits and pieces and when I put them together, it sort of worked. The Leo figure is heavily worn so I gave it a total repaint and added details according to the packaging art. I still want the Super7 3.75” version but I can't get it!



Sodo Candy toy Kamen Rider Zero One series - The A.I.M.S. Squad

JIMMY YU: These are probably purchased in 2020 but painted in 2021. They are sort of like the Swat team in the series, the logo is a coaster I won in an auction.



Playmobil Clowns

JIMMY YU: I have been collecting Playmobils sporadically, one of the theme I love is clown because they are so colourful. So when they release the Scooby Doo series and it has an evil clown, I had to take this group shot.



Batman The Animated Series - The Adventure Continues (with) Red Hood

JIMMY YU: Red Hood is a character that didn’t appear in the series but they introduced him in the comic officially in 2021. I remember sculpting this guy immediately after reading that issue. If only I can paint as fast but I enjoy the primer state so much that he still remains unpainted.



Sodo Candy Toy Kamen Rider Zio - Future Riders

JIMMY YU: These are Riders that exist outside the continuity of the main Kamen Rider timeline, sort of like an alternate universe. I love how wacky their designs are and the fact that they are mostly recycled suits with new paint and sculpt. Fully painted by me.



Sodo Candy Toy Kamen Rider Skull

JIMMY YU: The moment I saw the design, I was sold. I have so many versions of Kamen Rider Skull (including a ring), I wonder why I’m still getting him. I guess I needed a sodo scaled version to engage the other riders. He is a p Bandai exclusive and one of my Sodo grail so the moment I got him, I painted him immediately.



Module on Fourze Candy Toy - Kamen Rider Meteor

JIMMY YU: Another instant hit for me, he’s a space themed Kamen rider that fights like Bruce Lee...nuff said! He’s also quite hard to find because this is an older series that came before Sodo. Those little “stars” are all manually added.



2021 Kenner Marvel Legends The Uncanny X-MEN Cyclops

JIMMY Y: A combination of things I like in one carded figure...the Kenner name (a brand that dominated my childhood), the classic cyclops uniform (the version in all those console/arcade games I used to play) and my current favourite scale 3.75".

I’ve held back months from getting this figure because of the price, it went on sale and I bought it immediately!



Marvel Legends Earth X Peter Parker

JIMMY YU: People also refer to him as Quarantine Spiderman. This is a commission work, the idea and materials all came from the client (David Tan). I did some sculpting on the back, chest and wrist. Spiderwebs are drawn with a snowman marker.




Muka Tembok by brainsack produced by Museum of Toys - "Crime Alley"

JIMMY YU: This is my one off vinyl figure for the Museum of Walls event in Ashta District 8 as part of their first anniversary celebration. My first time painting a vinyl figure!



TOYSREVIL: What has been the most memorable toy-hunt you've experienced in 2021? And what happened? Were you successful?

JIMMY YU: Toy hunting in 2021 unfortunately is super boring as I can only rely on online stores. I don’t usually preorder but I’ve been forced to, the waiting is surprisingly exciting so In a way it was memorable and successful! (P Bandai Kamen Rider Skull)

TOYSREVIL: Has anything changed in your toy-hunting/collection focus in 2021, than the years before? And what is it/are they?

JIMMY YU: I think we all have our own kryptonite, some toys just screams that’s so me! But over the years I have learnt to be more selective (I no longer need multiple versions of the same character, I know I still got the Kamen Rider Skull but that’s for the scale!) I have also tightened my budget on toys, trying to avoid buying because it’s a good deal.

TOYSREVIL: Any plans for 2022? How you approach collecting / hunting for toys? Or even making them?

JIMMY YU: We are a creature of habits so chances are it won’t change too much but I’d like to curate it better and ensure they have proper display so I can enjoy them. I hope to sculpt and paint more too, that really elevates the experience in my opinion.

Jimmy Yu
(instagram.com/jimmy_yu)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK