The Rings of Power vs House of Dragon



I have never read any literary books from J. R. R. Tolkien nor George R.R. Martin (both gentlemen with 2 X "R."s in they names hhmmm), and have digested both stories via live action adaptations in film and television, and do not personally possess any semblance of "comparisons" for the source materials for LORD OF THE RINGS and GAME OF THRONES, and have enjoyed them for what I'd seen and heard on the screens in front of me, silver screen and plasma high-def.

And while I've devoured the LOTR-trilogy ("Two Towers" remain a firm favourite rewatched constantly on reruns on the telly), I've barely touched "The Hobbit" trilogy beyond the trailers. I was no doubt a tourist to Middle-earth, and went on my merry when something else glistened fro beyond the horizon.

I came late to the Game of Thrones-series, having only invested time from Season 7 to the finale, and learnt everything else before that via compilation and "best of" fan-made YouTube videos. My only quarrel with the series thus far is the sheer lack of lighting in the final season, learning the rest of the "faults" via social commentary.

And that was that. There never was a a need for me to seek beyond what I saw and experienced.

And now we have PREQUELS for BOTH properties, streaming to us in our very own homes.

"The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power" premieres September 2nd, 2022, on (Amazon) Prime Video. Season 1 will consist of 8 episodes. IN the trailer featured below, I was sold on Galadriel's words; "I have a tempest in me...!":



"Prime Video's The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth's history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness.

Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone."




As of this post-publication, the first episode of "House of the Dragon" (official trailer seen below) has since aired "August 21st" on HBO Max. The first season will consist of ten (weekly) episodes.



"The reign of House Targaryen begins: House of the Dragon, the prequel to Game of Thrones, is here. Based on George R.R. Martin’s “Fire & Blood,” the series, which is set 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones, tells the story of House Targaryen." (hbo.com/house-of-the-dragon)

"Fantasy vs Sex
Magics vs Morals
Beasts vs Incest"


At the end of the day, they are both "swords and sandals" properties to me, but with heightened fantasy and fiction, beyond human history, but for the imaginations they showcase us. Out of sheer curiosity I will partake of episodes, and let them convince me to invest my time in their storied past (understandably I am not their demographic :p).

And I cannot hep but wonder how either properties will do in the TOYS aspect this tie around? I might possibly own a 1/6 Legolas and Aragon I've wanted to kit bash but never did (I even had a scaled WW2 horse from DML ready to kit bash too) ... and closest I have to GoT figures from Threezero was blogging about the on TOYSREVIL, but to be honest, al that is based on my own tragic ability to afford toys these drydrydays... but wonder if any characters'll stand put from both stories, that folks in the art toy scene want to customise anything out of them...? That's when I know at least there'll be some legs on them characters... LOL
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK