TOP TEN TOYSREVIL HAPPENINGS IN SINGAPORE 2022



With the gradual opening of physical restrictions due to the pandemic, we had grown from reserved fist-punches to hearty hand-shakes face-to-face-masked-faces, as I attempted to physically visit events I had been invited to in 2022, from large scaled public events (like the reopening of AFA and SGCC), to preview invites to the newly opened BLAXK @ Action City Gallery (in Funan Mall), enough events for me to scrounge up the "TOP TEN TOYSREVIL HAPPENINGS IN SINGAPORE 2022"-list you are reading here today, as covered on TOYSREVIL!







EVENT: CULTURE CARTEL 2022 @ *SCAPE (DEC 2-4, 2022)
ENTRY: TICKETED ENTRY
Unfortunately I was not able to cover the event as robustly as I had hoped to (as I have had in past years: CC2019 + CC2018), ultimately going at it alone in a brand new location, unable to navigate it properly, and so ended up with more "regrets" than good memories... so I will hold on to the good memories instead. Here are a few notable blog-features, cheers:

BLOGGED:
TOYSREVIL @ Culture Cartel 2022 Wrap-up
FLABSLAB Seen @ Culture Cartel 2022
LUV+CA & VOC Seen @ Culture Cartel 2022
All Culture Cartel 2022 Pre-Event Features

SOCIALS:
Dedicated YouTube Playlist for TOYSREVIL @ #CultureCartel2022
Dedicated hashtag "#toysrevilculturecartel2022" on Instagram
Select Images in Dedicated Facebook Album

LESSONS LEARNT:
- Learnt a lot more than I should have been privy to.
- Learnt my physical limitations and current lack of ability to adapt.

BEST MEMORY: Meeting @eric_noah and receiving a GWEN THE CORGI Coin from him! Look, it's not the coin but the friendly face and welcome! With the exception of a very few familiar faces, this just was not my "scene", and I was just an unwelcomed fish out of hype-water here LOL










EVENT: PRELUDE TO SGCC2022 @ City Square Mall (Oct 8-9, 2022)
ENTRY: FREE TO PUBLIC
Hyped myself up for the year-end Singapore Comic-Con with this PRELUDE to SGCC2022 hosted at City Square Mall, which provided a sampler tasting of the year-end event, or at the very least reminded folks of what the SGCC is/was about, having had to halt physical activities due to the pandemic.

BLOGGED:
Round-Up of My Visit (On Oct 8, 2022)
PRE-EVENT Announcement Feature
All SGCC 2022 Features on TOYSREVIL
SGCC 2021 Online Edition

SOCIALS:
Dedicated YouTube Playlist
(Compilation video see above, cheers)
Images uploaded on dedicated Facebook album
Dedicted hashtag "toysrevilsgcc2022" on Instagram

LESSONS LEARNT:
- Learning the limits of my phone battery life.
- Learning my charging cable was damaged.
- Learning the limit of Insta-lives/Stories.
- Learning the limits of my stamina.
- Learning that I was socially inapt and recognising how I place in social and (local) professional standings.







EVENT: SHINIGAMI THE AWAKENING at BLAXK (May 14 - July 10, 2022)
ENTRY: FREE TO PUBLIC
Fantastic art, superb scene, a two-man-combo of Urban Art by CLOGTWO and collectible toys retrospective from WETWORKS, makes for a fulfilling show, methinks!



SHINIGAMI THE AWAKENING is a character creation by @clogtwo made collectible by @the.wetworks.studios, with the latest editions produced by @theblaxkspace. Seen below is the first "BLAXK LOTUS" edition colorway of subsequent multiple colorways released.

BLOGGED:
My Media Preview Wrap-Up
SHINIGAMI SHOW Features
All SHINIGAMI THE AWAKENING Features

SOCIALS:
Dedicated Instagram hashtag "#shinigamitoysrevil"







EVENT: COMING FULL CIRCLE @ BLAXK (July 16 - September 11, 2022)
ENTRY: FREE TO PUBLIC
Utterly happy and excited for Lester Lim (@lesdoublewood) of @gagatree_sg and his art for this solo show t BLAXK! And being able to contribute to the FORWARD for his book (see pageflip video embedded above), is a pleasure and honor (Buy artbook online here).

BLOGGED:
My Media Preview Visit Wrap-up
COMING FULL CIRCLE Features on TOYSEVIL
Lester Lim Features on TOYSREVIL

SOCIALS:
Dedicated Instagram hashtag "#toysrevilatfullcircle"

BEST MEMORY: Being apart of the Forward for Lester's artbook, published by BLAXK. Ever grateful and appreciated to be appreciated and considered.







EVENT: ANIME FESTIVAL ASIA 2022 @ Suntec City Convention Center (Nov 25 – 27, 2022)
ENTRY: TICKETED ENTRY
This was a way too quick visit before I dashed to another event (The Art of DEVILROBOTS @ BLKAXK), but held sway in my memories, as compared to previous visits, the last one being in 2018, the first one being in 2008, and everything in between...!

BLOGGED:
TOYSREVIL @ AFA2022
PRE-EVENT FEATURES on TOYSREVIL

SOCIALS:
Dedicated Instagram hashtag "#toysrevilafa2022"
Dedicated YouTube Playlist
Dedicated Twitter Hashtag "#toysrevilafa2022"

LESSON LEARNT: - Do not underestimate the time and energy needed to navigate the exhibition, especially if I am unfamiliar with the anime(s)!
- Best enjoyed with a buddy.

BEST MEMORY:
#1 - I was singularly impressed with how folks clearly understood that when someone is pointing a camera (even if it's a phone-camera) at something in front of them, you do not walk in front of said camera. It does not even matter if I am wearing a "Media Pass" or not, it is just the simple courtesy that folks/attendees at AFA recognise, unlike fully-grown adults at "other conventions" who think they ate glass while growing up.
#2 - Being asked by someone "What Anime I Enjoyed" was an interesting and refreshing situation, as thru the years of featuring and sharing my favs, no one actually asked me direct what I liked.







EVENT: FOMO Art Weekend 2022 @ *SCAPE (DEC 3-4, 2022)
ENTRY: FREE TO PUBLIC
A mini version of / primer for the annual Illustration Arts Festival, a prelude to the return of the full-scaled event in March 2023! I'd covered previous incarnations held at LaSalle (IAF2018 + IAF2017). Stay connected to their socials for updates!

instagram.com/oicsingapore
facebook.com/oicsingapore
oicsingapore.com

BLOGGED:
My Visit Wrap-Up (on Dec 8)

SOCIALS:
Dedicated Instagram hashtag "toysrevilfomoart"
Images in Dedicated Facebook Album
Dedicated Twitter Hashtag "#FOMOArtWeekend"

LESSON LEARNT:
- Need to dedicate more time to cover booths/tables, especially needing to identify the vendors, at least wit supplement snaps of their social medias (Ultimately I could not identify everyone).
- In a timeline crunch, I'd forgo'd grabbing items I wanted. I should not have let that happen in the first place.

BEST MEMORY: I may be a "outsider" to the illustrative art scene here, but the welcome I'd received by far had been exceptional, from both friends and folks, and deeply appreciated. Certainly hope everyone does not get tired of me too soon tho ... :p







EVENT: SHOW ME YOUR EEMO @ BLAXK (March 12 - April 12, 2022)
ENTRY: FREE TO PUBLIC
"Show Me Your Eemo" at BLAXK was @jessica_emmett's solo show, and the first at the BLACXK @ Action City Gallery too, as well her EEMO resin figure released as a production collectible (2 versions: One during the show, and another colorway afters), and as a base for a splendid line-up of customs from invited artists both local and overseas (Dedicated features on TOYSREVIL). A feast for the eyes and senses!

BLOGGED:
TOYSREVIL @ Media Preview Wrap-Up
SHOW ME YOUR EEMO Customs Features

SOCIALS:
Dedicated Instagram hashtag "#TOYSREVILEEMO"
Dedicated Twitter Hashtag "#ShowYourEemo"



BEST MEMORY: I brought my mum to the exhibition (on a second unannounced visit), to share with her what I feature on my TOYSREVIL-blog. That is gold, as far as I am concerned, cheers.







EVENT: ALTERED REALITIES: A JIANGSHI INTROSPECTIVE @ BLAXK
A retrospective of @thedanielyu's character creations in a single venue for public viewing, as well invited artists contributing to a line-up of Jiangshi-themed art - 2 line-ups, in fact - plus one of my favouritest set-ups by BLAXK = make for a wondrous presentation on our sunny island shores, IMHO.



A Jiangshi Introspection at BLAXK will always hold a place of regret for me, as I was unable to cover the 2nd artwork changeover, and wanting to interview Daniel about his art before his October 2022 Sculpting Masterclass @ ArtScience Museum (*His second session happens Jan 14th, 2023)!

BLOGGED:
My Media Preview Visit
FEATURES on TOYSREVIL

SOCIALS:
Dedicated Instagram hashtag "toysreviljiangshi"
Dedicated YouTube Playlist
Dedicated Twitter Hashtag "toysreviljiangshi"







EVENT: SINGAPORE COMIC-CON 2022 (Dec 10-11, 2022)
ENTRY: TICKETED ENTRY
Every year is a stressful year. Since starting in 2008, all the way til now, from before my Stroke, even during my Stroke recovery in my wheelchair (2010), to now, stumbling forth the aisle of my geek-dreams... but this year felt different. Not as stressful as before, with a renewed sense of pacing myself, and being a tad more selfish in wanting to do what I want, while trying to engage with the blog, with varied result, but fruitful from a personal perspective, IMHO.

BLOGGED:
FEATURES on TOYSREVIL
MY SGCC2022-HAULS
SGCC EVENT-Coverage

SOCIALS:
Dedicated Instagram hashtag "#toysrevilsgcc2022"
Dedicated YouTube Playlist
Dedicated Twitter Hashtag "toysrevilsgcc2022"
Collector's Ark Images in Facebook Album

LESSONS LEARNT:
- Need to get me a longer charging cable!
- Need to get me a better power bank (*DONE)

BEST MEMORY: That I actually could doing TWO/Both days for SGCC, albeit half-days and not full days, which would exhaust me.







EVENT: ODYSSEY & ODDITIES @ Our Tampines Hub
ENTRY: FREE ENTRY
"ODYSSEY & ODDITIES" features characters from @thedanielyu X @lepaklukis made giant inflatables (Curated by @chanhoricontemporary), and exhibited at @ourtampineshub, apart of the TAMPINES 3065 Festival, open to the general public.

This was one event I was not "invited for" (by organisers), but instead met with friends (Daniel & Michael) for a look, snaps kopi and chat, followed by a wonderful open-air mini concert with @theanaloggirl into the night!

BLOGGED:
My Visit Featured on TOYSREVIL
My Pre-Visit Blog-Feature
THE ANALOG GIRL Set Featured on TUNESTALKSG

SOCIALS:
Images in Dedicated Facebook Album


MISSED EVENTS




ATTACK ON TITAN: THE EXHIBITION @ Art Science Museum (Feb 19-July 3, 2022) Remembering my abject devotion to the anime series (at least Season 1 and most of Season 2), and thinking to relive the memories, but not by my lonesome, so I only blogged about it instead :p

SAPIEN TOY STUDIO @ SHOUT GALLERY (Nov 18 - Dec 1,2022) Totally missed out on visiting @sapientoystudio's solo show at Shout Gallery! Thank goodness I could live vicariously thru Eric's and @lucify_gazette's images featured here...!

KAWS:HOLIDAY SINGAPORE (November 2022) Would have been neat to have brought a KAWS toy to snap alongside the KAWS:HOLIDAY SINGAPORE inflatable installation at Marina Bay, but I do not own a KAWS toy (not even a bootleg one), nor do I have anyone I could call to go snap a picture for me. So I stayed my ass home, and posted about it using other folks' images, and missing a possibly once-in-my-lifetime memory ~ LOL



"BRING IT", 2023...!
Cheers,
Andy TOYSREVIL
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK