of custom paper toys and paper automata

Custom Paper Toys is a new blog by Matt Hawkins, devoted to his
paper toy work, including a (downloadable) Free Paper Toy of the Month:

and what is also unique about these paper-projects is that some of them utilize "Paper Automata" (a new term for me) - the result of which is best described visually in this youtubed-video of Mr. Robot:

*find out more about Paper Automata and my interview with Matt Hawkins, after the JUMP*
"A fascinating evolution of the mechanized toys developed during the 18th and 19th century is represented by automata made with paper. The possibility to export the complete design throughout the world with a simple click of the mouse gives paper automata (and in general paper modelling) a great impact. Despite the relative simplicity of the material, paper automata intrinsically are objects with a high degree of technology, where the principles of mechanics meet the artistic creativity. Popular sites where to find paper automata are, among others: CeraCera, paperPino, Flying Pig, Paper Machines Saka Karakuri" [wiki] - an interesting foil to Pepakura, IMHO


TOYSREVIL: tell us a bit about yourself, Matt. and how long have you been into paper toys and what got you started?

MATT: I've just recently got in to the paper toy game. I'm also a freelance illustrator and I do inde comics. I just got addicted to finding and printing these free little paper toys I found on line and decided to make one to promote a comic book project I was working on at the time and got hooked on designing these little paper toys and sending them out on the internet.

TRE: why "paper toys"?

MATT: It's like a matter transporter of sorts. A 3D piece of art gets turned into a bunch of ones and zeros and then sent all around the world on the internet only to be built back into a 3D toy half a world away! Magic! I also love that it's so interactive and participatory in a way that just sharing my 2D art isn't. I was getting a lot of interest from my artist friends who wanted me to turn there art or characters into a paper toy. So I decided to start the custom paper toys web site to share my toys with everyone who would like to download one and build it as well as drum up some commissions from other artist who would like to see there work turned into a paper toy.

TRE: so what can we be expecting from your blog in the near future?

MATT: The site will feature a new free paper toy every month and probably a few in between as well as where to find some of my commissioned pieces on the web. I also plan to get up a few "blank" paper toy templates that can be customized. I'm also a regular poster on the Paper Forest blog.

TRE: any "last words" on paper toys?

MATT: Seems like this whole paper toy thing just keeps growing. It's a natural progression of the whole vinyl toy scene. It takes a lot of those ideas and makes it much more grass roots and accessible to everyone. Thats my take on it anyway.

TRE: totally agree with the accessibility-factor. sometimes we've got to get past the commerce factor to truly enjoy whatever toy we are holding in our hands, rather than the value in which it was paid for and what it might fetch on the aftermarket LOL ... cheers for your time and trouble, Matt - have fun and watch out for them paper-cuts!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK