2008-WRAP-UP WITH TRE: TED STILSON

WHAT-IS: TRE-Friends and Folks send over Xmas-egreetings. TRE-Friends and Folks then gets cyber-ambushed with series of questions wrapping up 2008. In the hot-seat rapid-round of Qs&As for this cycle is Mr. Ted Stilson - creator of the MOODY platform figure @ BoVinyl. [INTERVIEWED in 2007]

TOYSREVIL: How has 2008 been to you, Ted?

TED STILSON: It’s been an exciting year for Bovinyl. The Moody customs that were put together for my first show, ‘Moody Idols – the Urban Vinyl Toy Movement’, at the Helen Christou Gallery were packed up and shipped off to Phoenix for ‘Don’t Cry Over Spilt Vinyl’ at the Pravus Gallery. Matt ‘Mother’ Connelly helped me curate the show. It was a huge success with strong attendance at both of the ‘First Friday’ openings. I also worked with D-Lux from Detroit on the ‘Mooood Swings’ show.

/// CLICK THRU for a 2008-WRAP-UP WITH TRE :)


TED STILSON: Moody’s also made their way to Washington D.C. for the ‘Say Whaaat’ show. It’s been an amazing journey and I am very fortunate to have been able to gain so much positive support from the artistic community. It’s been a pleasure to work with so many talented artists over the past year.


TOYSREVIL: What was the Best and Worst toy you bought in 2008? And why?

TED STILSON: The best toy I purchased this year was an 8” Dunny that was created by a Huichol Indian from Mexico . It’s an amazing piece (a Christmas prezzie for my wife). I’m travelling to Mexico over the holidays and I’m going to pack along a few Moody’s with me. I’m going to see if I can get a Huichol to work one of my platforms. There’s a gallery in Puerto Vallarta that is dedicated to Huichol art.


As far as the worst goes, well unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed by the 8” Tokidoki Dunny that I purchased. I’m a huge fan of Simone’s work, however this one could have been better.

TOYSREVIL: What would you consider to be a milestone work you've achieved in 2008 thus far?

TED STILSON: My trip to Phoenix for the ‘First Friday’ opening of the ‘Don’t Cry Over Spilt Vinyl’ show would have to be a highlight of 2008. Matthew Connelly and his wife Sarah were amazing hosts. They took us to some great restaurants and local sites. Matthew took us on a behind-the-scenes tour of McFarlane Toys. Matt has been working for them for the past few years and it was a real treat to see some of the cool stuff they have been working on.


[Ted on-left with Matthew 'Mother' Connelly on-right; celebrating the 'First Friday'
opening of 'Don't Cry Over Spilt Vinyl' at the Pravus Gallery in Phoenix, AZ.]

TOYSREVIL: If you were given a choice to remember just one single memory for 2008 (with everything else wiped clean and forgotten thereafters) - What would that memory be? ... And what would you rather forget?

TED STILSON: When my wife and I travelled to Phoenix, we took the opportunity to rent a car and travel to the Grand Canyon . We splurged and took a breathtaking helicopter trip over the Canyon. However, the best moment was when we sat on one of the lookouts and watched a spectacular sunset. It was one of those powerful memories that will be permanently etched in my mind.


The worst would have to be standing on a rickety, way-too-short, ladder putting up my Christmas lights a few days ago. It’s a sad statement, however I’m definitely morphing into my dad … cursing all the way.

TOYSREVIL: (I was gonna make a funny with "jingle-all-the-way", but ... hey? where's the picture for that? nyuknyuk). And now, the end is near - the end of 2008, I mean! What are you looking forward to in 2009, Ted?

TED STILSON: I’m definitely looking forward to the next toy project for Bovinyl. Although I have a few things in mind, I’m not quite sure what direction it’s going to take. I’m down to my last few boxes of Moody platforms, so I’m going to have to work on something soon.

I’m really excited about a show that I’ve just secured at the Art Gallery of Calgary for the spring of 2010. It’s a bit of a ways off, however it’s a huge gallery space and I’m going to need a lot of time to put something special together.

I am looking forward to purchasing one of Marka’s new Killa Instinct toys. I have a place set for it, right beside a Mini-god I purchased last year. Marka created a really cool Moody custom for my ‘travelling’ shows. He’s a great guy and his toys and art are brilliant!


TOYSREVIL: What have you got planned for this Christmas? And where will you be at, at the stroke of midnight 2009?

TED STILSON: Christmas will be pretty quiet this year - the usual stuff ... family, friends, board games and a big plump turkey with all the fixings. My family and I will be ringing in the New Year in Mexico. It is currently minus 26 degrees Celsius in Alberta, so I can't wait to escape the deep freeze and plunk my icy cold ass, ah, hmmm, feet in the Pacific Ocean for a week. I love living on the Prairies, however the winters are always grey and cold.

TOYSREVIL: Thanks for playing along, Ted! And may you and your missus have a joyful, blissful and toasty Christmas, and a wonderful New Year to come!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK