MyToyLife: Interview with Ferg (Medium War / Maximum Cool)

MEDIUM-WAR-FERG-01

We've seen the custom-builds and launch images of Ferg's solo show at Rotofugi in Chicago, and we've covered intensively about Project Squadt on TOYSREVIL ever since the early designs back in 2008. Now read an updated interview with the man, about his toylife, his plans and his "Medium War". CLICK THRU to read.

Also do check out the aforementioned show before it closes a day before Valentine's Day on February 13th, as well the online availability of his artwork and custom-Squadts.

MEDIUM-WAR-FERG-02

TOYSREVIL: From our "De-Classified" briefing in 2009 to the now - what has essentially changed? For the man and the toys?

FERG: I turned 40. Bought a house in the neighborhood I grew up in. I built a zipline for my daughter. it's pretty rad.

For the toys... I guess they have evolved slightly with each release. I feel like they all have their own personalities or whatever.. some more complex than others, but all interesting I hope. ..Also by collaborating with other artists I feel like i've learned a lot.

MEDIUM-WAR-FERG-03

TOYSREVIL: How has the journey been, this past two years? Standing in the middle of Rotofugi, is it vindication, or just one journey-destination?

FERG: The past two years have been great...seems like a lot has happened. Standing at Roto, the day before the show opened I had one of those "Fuck Yes." moments. ..Totally cool feeling. But yea, now that i'm back at home I'm all stoked to do the next one. I do want to mention how cool it was working with Rotofugi on the show. They are pros and cool as hell...and the setup they have there is unreal. Next time I am in Chicago I'm gonna see if I can stay in the basement.

MEDIUM-WAR-FERG-04

TOYSREVIL: What is THE thing about the show, which you have been planning for a while, or just happened at the spur of the moment?

FERG: The retrospective part is something I wanted from the get go. I thought it would be nice to have every production Squadt on display...I guess the big pieces were somewhat last minute... I wanted to do some big weapons and Kim (threezero) was like "Lets do Big Squadts" and thats why those happened. Thanks Kim.

MEDIUM-WAR-FERG-05

TOYSREVIL: Actually, why is the show called "Medium War"?

FERG: The toys are the MEDIUM and WAR references the Squadt backstory ...or something like that..also i thought it sounded cool :)

TOYSREVIL: Obligatory questions about the availability of products, status of Not-For-Sale" Squadts and yes, those 3-feet giants everybody else is asking for.

FERG: The .50s (minis) are still in the pipe...the small clothing and cut and sew accessories are presenting problems, but we are working through them. The 20" gassed will be coming later this year, and the life size (three footers) were for the show at Rotofugi...just for fun.

MEDIUM-WAR-FERG-06
MEDIUM-WAR-FERG-07

TOYSREVIL: "For Fun" he says! As well excellent work with the Brandt Peters-collaboration. How did that work out for you?

FERG: Thanks. Brandt had the full concept planned so it was super smooth and fun process. Brandt rules. we plan to collaborate on other stuff based on how well we worked together on the Squadts.

MEDIUM-WAR-FERG-08

TOYSREVIL: Dirty-digging: Whatever happened to the Methamphibian-Squadt? Heck, how is the Ashley Wood-Squadt doing btw?

FERG: The Methamphibian piece just never got off the ground and fizzled. The Ash piece is definitely happening... its taking a while...but it will be crazy good.

MEDIUM-WAR-FERG-09

TOYSREVIL: What's next for Ferg? Or is "Clay Ferguson" out in the "open" now?

FERG: Ferg. that's been my nickname most of my life..but you can call me Clay :) or...some people call me Freg.

TOYSREVIL: Designer, Artist or Businessman (aka Toy-Maker/Peddler) Who are you?

FERG: Both. wait ..all three? Artist owned toy companies are where its at :)

MEDIUM-WAR-FERG-10

TOYSREVIL: Yet another obligatory question: What should fans be looking out for in 2011?

FERG: 4" Misfortune Cats with Chris Ryniac, Andrew Bell and Jason Siu and others. More Buds with Wilkowski. Many More Squadts. Squbes, Skelve and Squadt collabs with Brandt and Kathie and more stuff with MunkyKing...we have some things brewing.

Last thing- hello collectanddestroy.com.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK