about captain america's new duds with a gun and a knife (but i thought he was dead?)

walked into my regular comicbookshop after a 2month+ comicbook-sabbatical just (ie: no cash) and my comic-pimp (ie: Gerald from alaric's :p) tells me: Captain America is back and he's carrying a gun and a knife!" ... and instead of thinking "i thought he was dead?" (becoz true comicbook heroes never die) - first thing popped into my mind: "Bucky's the new Captain?" = becoz my money's down on The Winter Soldier who dons the new red, white, blue and black-uniform (seen here designed and drawn by Alex Ross) when the new Cap is revealed in January 2008's Captain America#34 [read more on CBR] ... or could it be Cap from the past?...

further "conspiracies" include the new Avengers/Invaders-comic, where a Steve Rogers/Captain America from the past travels to the present ... altho no one has mentioned that he'd go back to his past, innit? /// CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

"Captain America" writer Ed Brubaker (who's responsible for me collecting and enjoying Cap's adventures thus far) and Alex Ross, designer of the new costume, were both asked about their thoughts on the redesign:

"I wanted something that had at least a touch of 'soldier' to it, personally," Ed Brubaker told CBR News. "But Alex had incredibly strong ideas and had done more research, and he really didn't want us to end up with something that looked like USAgent or the Ultimate Cap designs. We all knew it still had to be a superhero outfit and Alex's initial ideas had the exact flavor I was hoping to see, with the blend of the '40s movie serial look and his more classic superhero design sense. I felt like I was looking at costume designs from John Romita in the '70s or something."


"I sort of instinctually knew what the character needed to have as part of his costume and what sort of design hybrid I needed to create," said Alex Ross "If you tell me that say Iron Man is going to become the new Captain America, then I know what things to bring into it. You need a certain amount of instincts to design a new costume like this and you have to ask yourself questions like, 'OK, well, if you've never tried this before with the design, what would you try?' That's how I ended up bringing in the shield shape from the original 1941 shield and threw it on his chest and worked around that."

and while i personally am appalled at the idea of Cap wielding a knife, much less a gun - which is quasi-sad becoz mayhap that is the mark of a "hero" people look up to? (or maybe it would make an interesting new story :p) - im just hoping it doesn't go by way of a military-sanctioned squad of Super-Soldier-serum-ingested Captain Americas (ala Tony Stark's SHIELD-sanctioned Scarlet Spider Squad *shudder*) - anyways, the all-chromy-armor is a tad non-tactical to make it an effect military-issue anyways, dunnit? ... regardless, i'd always remember the by-now-classic Mark Miller-Ultimate Cap's: "You think this letter on my head stands for France?" to be THE definitive Cap now LOL

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK