Dirty Hands: The Art and Crimes of David Choe (Trailer)


"Dirty Hands is a documentary film based on artist David Choe by Harry Kim ~ a film which started filming in the year 2000 ~ and will now be presented in Los Angeles (@Sunset 5 on April 30th-May 6th) and San Francisco (May 21st-27th). Find out more about the film via www.dirtyhandsmovie.com, and score some movie swag offa dirtyhands.flyingcart.com.

Perhaps folks reading this blog would be more familiar with David's painted wooden doll with three-faces; CHOEGAL made with Ningyoushi [tagged on TOYSREVIL] and something which I've always desired but never made a big deal about ...
[CLICK THRU for more]


MESSAGE FROM HARRY KIM [contents dated 2007 via]:

"Dirty Hands has been on a seven year journey, starting back in 2000 with several different directors behind the helm,while picking up more seriously over the last four years. Since then I’ve been working, whoring, begging, and borrowing to finish the film. I’ve maxed out eight credit cards and have to pay $1000 a month just to keep from defaulting. I’m also enrolled as a half time student at community college so I don’t have to make payments on school loans. And my income is so low that the state offers these classes to me for free. Yes I’m so poor that I get free community college classes.

But now the edit is done, basically the movie is almost done, i'm at the finish line, all of my resources are out, and the movie still needs money to finish(mixing,sound editing, music rights, animation, color correcting, L.A. riots footage , etc.). I’ve never wanted to ask Dave for anything financially in the making of the film since I wanted to make an honest documentary. Dave also thought that would be best. So, while Dave and I have been friends from childhood, his career has been taking off during the making of the documentary while I have been going further into debt and I refused to take money from Dave (not to actually help finish the movie , but to have it destroyed, in the last 4 years , dave has offered half jokingly, to dead seriously offer to buy my movie, only to have it destroyed so no one ever see's it) ..."


Read more of the extract via davechoe.blogspot.com, which led an auction of a Choe-painting.
Never let it be said filmmaking is a smooth and painless endeavor, folks!

[Additional screengrab via Eric Nakamura's blog]
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK