The New Mutants by Patricio Oliver (Art & Q&A)

You've seen numerous toys and creations from Argentinean-designer Patricio Oliver, but did you know he does a pretty darn awesome series of "New Mutants" illustrations and covers, in his distinct personal style? Seen on his illustration-blog are as well redesigns of The Guardians of the Galaxy, New Animated X-Men, and even Saint Seiya! (But we'll get to them soon enough). Check out more of them posted on my Facebook-album, and as well check out a mini Q&A with the creator here!

PO_NEW-MUTANTS_COVERS-01

TOYSREVIL: Why "New Mutants"? What allure do they hold for you? What is your history with NM?

PATRICIO OLIVER: Back when I was 10 in the 80s I used to collect spanish editions of the Uncanny X-men (they were called "Patrulla-x") One day as I was buying a new issue I realized that there was an other book called "New Mutants" - about teen students from the Professor X school. I've decided to buy issue #9 to see if the book was worth reading and of course I loved it. The fact that they were young students from different countries learning how to be mutants in a world that hate and fear them was just perfect.

As new members joined the team I've totally felt in love with each of them. An other important factor in my infatuation with this marvel comics book was the gallery of amazing artist that worked in NM such as Bill Sienkiewicz, Jackson Guise, Sal Buscema, Bob McLeod, Bret Blevins (and I wont include mr Liefeld in this list since I think he totally destroyed the whole concept of the book).

PO_NEW-MUTANTS_COVERS-02

TOYSREVIL: Maaaan I agree with your sentiments about Liefeld! LOL ~ You redesigned their costumes in your illustrations - would you ever, or have you ever done a comicbook serializing their adventures in your designs?

PATRICIO OLIVER: At this moment I/m more into doing all the covers from the original book as a tribute. Maybe in the future I might try doing a whole new comic book with my style and costume designs. Those costume designs are more 50s oriented (I still need to finished a few more) and in fact thats an alternative version of them where the New Mutants were created on the 40s 50s like a Young Justice Society.

PO_NEW-MUTANTS_01

TOYSREVIL: Absolutely loving the retro-concept! Hopefully one day soon we'll get to see them serialized (I can't wait LOL). So who is your favourite New Mutant? And WHY?

PATRICIO OLIVER: From the 80s run 'Magik' was by far my fav character.
She was mean and almost evil. I love her powers (the soul sword) and how bad things turned for her as her evil side toke over ther personality. Moonstar is also an amazing characters, she is such a strong woman and she is still an amazing character in the present. From the present book Im loving now 'Cypher'. He is such a freakie geek hahahaha.

PO_NEW-MUTANTS_02

So who is YOUR fav New Mutant drawn by Patricio? :)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK