Edward Low's #TopTenToysof2018


Hi, I am Edward Low and only get to know designer/ art toys for roughly 2 years. When I first started collecting, I will jump into anything and many times they are compulsive buying. But as I get to know more and knowing that it is impossible to own every toy that catch my attention or trending. I will think 3 – 4 times before making a decision to buy 1 toy. I have also started a Facebook Group Page, MY Toy Hoard with couple of friends to promote the art toy scene in Malaysia. We are glad that the community is growing bigger each day and get to know more friends and hidden talents along the way. Here is my Top 10 Toys of 2018!


#10: Rocky by Kevin Nam aka PocketPlastic

I first found out about Kevin’s creation of the Gacha Tops (rock, paper & scissors) and like how unique and playable they are. Totally define what a toy supposed to be. Then he introduce Rocky, a little fella who can stand on his 4 limbs. I was instantly sold!


#9: LMF Crazy Children Davy Vinyl Figure by Michael Lau

I only started collecting designer/ art toys about 2 years ago. But since I get to know more about this toy scene and knowing that Michael Lau is the God Father of vinyl toy. I was stoked when managed to snatch this piece through a local online seller at a super reasonable price. Plus point is I’ve been listening to LMF for many years, this piece is special.



#8: TABTOP 1.0 by Haniff Haizan

This 3D printed robot by Malaysia’s Haniff is super playable. For a first timer, he put in all his efforts to make sure this piece perform the way that he want it to be. Check out the short stop motion I’ve made with it. I get to meet him personally to collect this toy and we had a long chat. Looking forward to his future release.


#7: Team Malaysia Ah Boy by Jefferson Ng

Most of the time, when I buy a toy it is because it speaks to me and this Team Malaysia Ah Boy is one of them. First saw it when Jefferson made an one-off Team Malaysia Kayak Ah Boy for Wrong Gallery Taipei during STS 2018. Many Malaysian started ask if he ever going to release it without the kayak. True enough, he showcase it at first ever TAGCC 2018 & few months later, I get my own Team Malaysia Ah Boy. Malaysia Boleh!


#6: BETA 01 by Teera

Things made with wood always have a special place in my heart. Wood craft never ceased to amaze me and Teera’s creation from Phuket is pure amazing. Can’t help myself but to order all 3 BETA colours and he even throw in a blank piece for me. Such a nice guy!


#5: Xiao Fu (Little Tummy) by Dafu (Big Tummy)

Always admire Dafu’s sculpting skills and his humour especially during convention with his egg and corn shirt. (He even sculpted Xiao Fu inspired by that) I especially love this XiaoFu with that movable monster outfit and a little innocent kid hiding inside.


#4: Mini Banjing by Jan Calleja, produced by Lost&Found Toy Production

Another artist that I’ve been admiring with his awesome customising skills which include recycle objects. Got super excited when able to see them with my own eyes at an exhibition organised by Culture Cave. Then he releases Mini Banjing with Lost & Found production. PERFECT for collector like me!


#3: Baby Scarecrow by Jim Mckenzie (produced by ToyQube)

First saw the video of Jim sculpting the original scarecrow and then the prank foil folding video. This guy is really a genius! Missed out the Scarecrow releases and knowing that it isn’t something that I can afford for my collection, Baby Scarecrow is perfect in price point and size wise. When Jim posted the drawing of it, in my mind I scream “yesssssssss!”


#2: Mike Shinoda by me (Drawdelow)

A big fan of Linkin Park and when I get to know Mike Shinoda will have a solo show in Singapore, I’ve decided to make a little something. Hoping able to meet him and hand it to him in person. Although I didn’t managed to meet him but I got someone to pass it to him. Only made 2, one for myself and one for him. Unfortunately until today, I have no clue whether he had received it or not.


#1: Honeypot by me (Drawdelow)

Got to be thick skin a little bit for this one. 2018 is the year I step into another stage of my life. I have decided to make my own wedding souvenir with my limited skills and resources. Get to experience and quite a fair bit along the way making my own stuff in bulk. Although thinking of giving up for few times but somehow managed to make it through.

Already looking forward to see what will be my Top 10 for 2019 :p

Regards,
Edward

*All above authored by Edward Low, whom you can follow on:
Insta @edwardlow25 (toy collection)
Insta @drawdelow (his "amateur doodle & handmade stuff")
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK