TOYSREVIL's Display Shelf Of Toy Memories


And while I’ve posted a single snap in my Interview on Bulletpunk Network Show (Ep19) and as well uploaded unto my Insta, I am now reposting the few images I have of one of my toy-displays in the TOYSREVIL HQ (fancy name for ”bedroom” :p), featuring number of collectibles surrounding (and covering the tarnished parts) of my 2011 Designer Toy Awards BEST BLOG trophy (design by Pete Fowler)!


Just in case you "asked nicely" (it's also just an excuse for me to talk a bit more about my toys, so run with me here... :p): There is no specific “theme” to the chaos selection, and it is all a parallel to my life’s interests mirroring a “mixtape” (if you will) = showcasing multiple different songs from different artists, from different eras too (although my heart is in the 80s) - with the bulk of these being gifts, alongside purchases.

And while I do not take gifts lightly, I am also specific with my choices - which might or might not change thru the years too… along with my unfulfilled "plans" to change out the display ever so often, rotating toys on show, quite simply because I have a finite display space...!


Let's take a slight tangent shall we?

Folks who remember the films I have designed and art directed for (AKA "None that read my blog"), might remember a particular display shelf in "Perth" (my 5th movie), starring Lim Kay Tong as "Harry Lee", with a specific key display in his living room being a display cabinet filled o the brim with a hodgepodge of - shall we say "eclectic" rubbles?


"The Cabinet played a big part in the mood of the set and film, at least for me. It was the embodiment of Harry's psyche. Filled with treasures of his past, not of monetary value, but of the memory of the glory days. Mementos of his numerous travels around the globe, a mark of where he's been and who he was and long to be again. A global-citizen, trapped in an age embodied by his habitat and mindset.


Each single item would bring on a different story and memory, and I am sure he'll tell them with a smile and warmed heart. And yet they are encased in a glass-paneled cabinet, much like himself ~ bare to the world but not his heart. Framed by tradition (altar), memory (display cabinet) and (loosing) time (clock and calendar), this wall, to me, is Harry. Even his pride and joy, his son, sits on the top with his old man."
(Read more here)


I blogged specifically about the shelf meant for the film, and in many ways I'd personally realised that that spirit had been apart of me, and remained with me since the film too - reflected in this shelf, with each collectible a story of how and where, and from whom I received or bought them from.

My film director for Perth, Djinn said "Puts Harry Lee to shame" (triggering this memory and this post lol), and as well a dear friend had once said that I was a "Hoarder of Memories", and both of them are true. The inherent "value" is not of the pieces of pre-painted plastic/resin/vinyl figures on show, but of the stories they each hold in my own memories.

Cheers
Andy TOYSREVIL

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK