MyToyLife: Confessionals of The Sucklord (The SUCKADELIC Art Toy Universe on TOYSREVIL)


Since our last blog-post, The SUCKADELIC Art Toy Universe had launched January 11th, and now with the chance to procure your Suck-needs via the Suck Shoppe.

The SUCKADELIC Art Toy Universe retrospective exhibition displays thru January 23rd @ the Boo-Hooray pop-up gallery in New York. There will be a Closing Party on Sunday from 3pm-6pm, so expect loads of BeerLao and madness. And no, I doubt this time the Fire Department will turn up (which apparently they did, from the initial setting up, when the spray fumes reached epic proportions). Some folks really have all the fun, yeh?

SUCKLORD-RETROSPECTIVE

I've long respected the concept and execution of The Sucklord since many years ago when I held one of his carded blister bootlegs in my hand (and regretting not purchasing it), and subsequently started blogging - the tenacity of a one-man-toyshow navigating thru our geek culture, and making a name for himself despite trends, his potty-mouth, and naysayers. The epitome of an independent creator (only a true handful of which exists now), who continuously produces and puts out good works, in all it's kitschy, kooky and constanly too-kool-for-skool aplomb.


[VIdeo-grab by Steve Talkowski, creator of Sketchbot]

Low-brow art manifest unto a self-made resin non-articulated figure, housed in self-made blister cards. The Sucklord is "Mr.DIY" at his grandest of schemes, IMHO. An art-hustler, a trendsetter, an idiot-savant, a visionary - feel free to tick the appropriate boxes … Unfortunately I have not met the man personally, so have no qualms about cyber-kissing up to his a$$.

Since our blog interview in '07, and the amount of years in the toy-biz, The Sucklord has now arrived at a retrospective show of his work and craft. I had asked him on his thoughts in the field of toys, and for himself, at this juncture of toy-life, to which his manifesto/confessional went….

SUCKLORD: "…how do I feel about having a 'Retrospective?" It's kind of a confusing, mixed bag, some great feelings and some rare self doubt, which almost never happens in the Suckadelic universe. If you don't mind I'm gonna ramble here a little bit. This is the first interview regarding the show that I am doing with someone who knows me and my work from back in the day, rather than someone who just discovered it from this event, so it offers a chance for some reflection and perspective."

[CLICK THRU for more of The Sucklord, and only The Suckord]


[35 images in slideshow above / CLICK for full-screen viewing]

SUCKLORD: There is a lot of noise and hot air that gets blown around these things. You hear people next to you saying things like "Banksy" and "Warhol" You start to believe you may be one of the greats. You also feel like a dick for wanting to be a great. Then you feel like a dick for believing it when shit doesn't sell at your new inflated prices. Then you read all the hate mail that inevitably shows up on comment pages. You think it's funny and that it doesn't bother you, and you're a cool art rebel cuz you have haters and you love the negative attention. But then you go to make a new piece of artwork and all that chatter starts creeping up in your mind.

All the hate/ and fake love start taking over and you can't just do the pure act of creating without all that noise in your head. I hope that doesn't last cuz I had a real tough time with my Star Wars Galaxy 6 cards the other day, and that should have been a no-brainer. I worry that I'm going to loose touch with my instincts.


[14 images in slideshow above / CLICK for full-screen viewing]

SUCKLORD: The reality is that this show isn't going to change much.  Whenever you hit a new milestone or break into a new level, you get these fantasies in your head that suddenly you are going to be able to buy a new life and that everything suddenly gets awesome and you can really be who you are. Then you realize you only achieved mild gains and you get depressed and fail to enjoy the modest successes because you didn't become a superstar overnight.

Same thing happened with the Christie's sale. I really thought I was gonna walk out of there with tens of thousands of dollars and a whole stable of rich new clients and that my life had officially started. That didn't happen and I got depressed. It's only now 2 years later that I realize what an important step that sale was, most specifically in the people I met and got to work with. So many things came of meeting people such as Simeon Lipman, from that event. This art show wouldn't have happened if we didn't work together. The Art Hustle wouldn't have happened either. I imaging that this show is gonna be the same way. There will be long term gains that can't be predicted as of yet. However I did make some money, more than I ever have, and that will help me pay some debts and and invest in some needed improvements in my work-life, which I need, cuz after this it's Back to business.


[16 images in slideshow above / CLICK for full-screen viewing]

SUCKLORD: Sorry, I'm talking a lot. I guess I still have more to say. I don't want to give the impression that this whole thing was nothing less than amazing. The Gallery was great and they really went all out producing this thing. This is the first show I did in a place where there was actual staff and a budget and a plan. I really liked having a team support the efforts instead of the usual One-Man-Army shit I'm used to. Of course seeing all the work collected together made me feel good, like I had accomplished something with my life, and it looked nice all displayed in cases and stuff.  I enjoyed the sense that by the presentation, the work was valued. And that's rewarding; like it all counted for something.

But I would say overall, the greatest reward was the people who came and participated, whether it was one of the rad artist friends that came early and helped paint the wall (that was an epic day) to all the friends and family and creative associates that came to the opening, it was awesome to acknowledge the high caliber of good people that the work has attracted. That I think is the greatest Success. Not to sound corny, but the opening is felt like that old cliche about heaven, where you get there a all the people you ever loved are all in the room, together, celebrating your life. That made me happy.

TOYLORDS-OF-CHINATOWN-2
[Stills from Toy Lords of Cinatown 2]

SUCKLORD: Finally, now that it's almost over, it begs the question, "What next For Suckadelic?". The motto of 2011 is "Ain't a Damn Thing Changed." I'm going to go back to work making resin cast bootleg figures on blister cards. They may be sightly more expensive and the quality may go up a hair, but I'm gonna keep doing what I do best. It got me this far, why change the plan now? I'm staying busy. Currently I am balls deep in the edit of TOY LORDS OF CHINATOWN Episode 2. That will be dropping in a few weeks.

There is a new Episode of MICROSEXUALS almost done and there will be a toy drop in association with that. Other new projects include a comic book, possibly an album, more team-ups with Onell design, and Suckpax 3. Also, San Diego Comicon and Designer Con are all still in play. Not to mention more Suckpegs and a NEW LINE, If I can get my shit together. The Sucklord is gonna stay the Sucklord, for now anyway. The only thing that has changed is the prices on my back catalog. That's gonna stay high. No more deals!

SUCKLORD-MUM
[The Super Sucklord and Mighty Suck-Mum]

Suck-Quote: "No matter how successful I may or may not be,
I never want to lose touch with people or reality."

Credits: All event images via Suckadelic Flickr (individual descriptions via)
Photos by Tom Lichtman and Dave Gittleman.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

POPULAR-EST OF TOYSREVIL POSTS FOR THE PAST WEEK